Graduate Analysts and Operational Researchers
Dstl Porton Down, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP4 0JQ and Dstl Portsdown West, Fareham, Hampshire
About the job
Are you looking for a rewarding career as an Analyst or Operational Researcher?
Would you like exciting work, working alongside interesting people and with access to knowledge available nowhere else, with the opportunity for continued self-development?
Would you like to work on unique projects helping to protect the security and stability of the UK and partner nations?
If so now is an exciting time to join The Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) as we look forward to shaping the future by pushing the boundaries on technology advancements and new concepts. Driven by our core values, we are consistent in challenging the norms, embracing diversity and rewarding innovation. When you join us you will be a member of a diverse community of analysts where you will feel motivated by the opportunities to develop your own learning, drive your own career and deliver impactful Science and Technology in the process.
In these roles you will gain exposure to innovative technologies and seek to build an in-depth understanding of how Analysts and Operational Researchers shape the future of defence and security.
The Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) is the science, technology and engineering arm of the UK’s Ministry of Defence.
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution.
In this role you will
- Work on a variety of interesting and challenging problems that owing to their sensitivity cannot be done elsewhere
- Make a difference and have pride in what you do; our work improves the front-line capability of the UK Armed Forces and Government, keeps UK nationals safe and support national prosperity. We are proud of our impartial status, doing things for the right reasons.
- Form links across Government, Industry and Academia. Work with an array of partners both at home and abroad including the Armed Forces, other Government departments, Industry and Academia.
- Drive your career, with great opportunities to gain new skills and qualifications, work with leading experts and ensure your working life is never boring.
If you are someone who loves problem solving, then this is your opportunity to tackle the problems the UK and our allies face both today and in the future!
We are looking for graduates who have:
- STEM related academic knowledge
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Good problem solving skills
- The ability to work on unbounded problems and apply analytical knowledge to them
- The passion to keep learning and developing yourself
- The desire to understand how things work and to improve them
- The ability to work independently and in teams
- The ability to work outside of your comfort zone
- Self-starting skills (i.e. confidence, motivation, innovation, creativity)
You must have an appropriate Degree in a subject such as (but not limited to) one of the following;
- Operational Research
- International relations
- Philosophy and Economics
- Data Analysis
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be UK Nationals who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to undertake the projects we are involved in to protect us from security threats. For this reason, only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners.
This role will require full UK security clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years. For some roles Developed Vetting will also be required, in this case you should have resided in the UK for the past 10 years.
Degree in appropriate subject