Business Case Consultant
At Atkins we help our clients achieve genuine business benefits from their investments. We advise at senior levels on complex problems and take a hands-on role to ensure that solutions are delivered to realise the expected benefits.
We are looking for Senior and Principal Consultants who can lead the development of Business Cases for our clients, to the HM Treasury Green Book standard in many cases, to demonstrate that business investments can deliver good value for money.
We’re not like other management consultancies. We have real-world expertise in delivering innovative projects across public and private sectors, which means we know how to implement change in practice, not just on paper. We’re there to see change through from start to finish, whatever challenges arise. Helping our clients respond well to the challenges and opportunities they face is a core skill for our Business Consultants.
We operate across a number of key sectors that align well with our engineering heritage, including Defence, Aerospace, Security, Energy, Utilities, Highways, Rail and across the Public Sector.
In our Business Consulting & Transformation practice we find solutions and develop the evidence to enable better decisions that measurably improve the way our clients operate and deliver. We are people with diverse backgrounds and experience that enables us to bring a unique point of view to our clients – we are passionate about their success and the value we offer.
We are looking for talented, well-rounded consultants experienced in project management and business analysis with a track record of developing and delivering Business Cases to the highest standards. You will be given significant responsibility and exposure to our clients and be expected to act as an ambassador for our business. You will be accountable for the overall quality and timeliness of the delivery of assignments, and the role may also require you to lead an Atkins team responsible for specific project outputs. You will also need to be comfortable working with client senior leaders.
Our consultants are also expected to help develop and grow our business. This may include contributing to bids or managing a bid team, developing new business propositions or researching potential new markets.
We want you to help us grow our business by:
- Working alongside our clients at all levels, winning their trust, and shaping the development of their Business Cases through detailed analysis, a focus on quality, and adoption of best practice.
- Leading the Business Case development process through strategic alignment, articulation of the business need, development and evaluation of options, the identification of commercial suppliers and delivery vehicles, finance and governance arrangements, and the means by which to successfully manage delivery.
- Managing and working within multi-disciplinary teams (at our clients’ premises, in our Atkins’ offices, and across the UK) to deliver excellent results for our clients.
- Preparing reports, presentations, and engaging with a range of client stakeholders up to board level.
- Initiating and collaborating in the development of tools, techniques and methodologies that can be shared to build capabilities within across the Business Case development team and Business Consulting & Transformation practice.
- Contributing to sales for the practice and wider business – including bid development and sales presentations to clients.
- Supporting the development and delivery of marketing campaigns.
We are looking to grow our team and are looking for people at the Senior and Principal Consultant level, and for those with Business Case skills looking to transfer significant relevant experience into a consultancy environment.
Successful candidates will be given significant responsibility for working with our clients from day one. We are looking for highly skilled people who can demonstrate the following capabilities and experience across the following areas:
Client Management –
- You can build good and lasting relationships with clients at all levels in a business environment.
- You are able to gain client trust and identify opportunities for adding further value to the client relationship.
- You maintain a flexible attitude to working in a multi-disciplinary environment.
Technical Delivery –
- A degree or equivalent qualifications, but significant relevant experience will also be considered.
- Experience in drafting Business Cases to HM Treasury Green Book standard.
- A Better Business Cases Foundation or Practitioner qualification.
- Skills, experience and qualifications relevant to Business Case development, including (but not exclusively) Business Analysis, Cost Modelling, procurement or commercial expertise, Project and/or Programme Management, and Business Change.
- Experience of supporting Business Cases through assurance and to successful approval.
- Experience in one or more of our key markets (Defence, Aerospace, Security, and the Public Sector in general).
- You are a strong team player and have the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of people to influence and lead change.
- You have the ability to transfer skills and knowledge to colleagues and clients.
- You are proactive and enjoy working with a variety of people, but also comfortable working independently.
Business Development –
- You have experience of leading or contributing to the sale of management consulting work – including bid development and presentations.
- You have supported the development and delivery of marketing campaigns or promotional events for consulting services.
Why work for Atkins?
People join us because they share a desire to be at the forefront of the ADS&T Business Unit and deliver outstanding projects. We empower our people to be the professional individuals they want to be, working on projects they feel proud of, making a difference to the world they live in and the legacy they leave behind.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.