Decision Scientist - Cost Modelling
Decision Scientist (Cost Modelling) - Empowering projects in a complex world.
Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' problems head-on. It's a diverse and inclusive work environment where world-class talent knows no distinctions.
We know that different people have different priorities, which is why we're here to support you. Flexible and remote working is a central part of our culture. So, talk to us about what's ideal for you – from reduced weeks to buying more leave over school holidays. And if you're returning from a career break, ask us how we can help you transition back into work with us.
Read more about how you can thrive with us.
Work with our Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology (ADS&T) division as a Decision Scientist. You'll undertake projects that use quantitative and qualitative methods to analyse, model and identify solutions to our customers’ business decisions. Keep yourself challenged on our wide variety of projects, from niche consultancy projects to large, high profile programmes.
In this role you can expect to undertake the following tasks:
- Interfacing with customers to help define and clarify decision making requirements.
- Modelling of whole life costs covering current and future investment options.
- Analysis of cost, schedule and risk throughout the life of investment options.
- Liaison with colleagues to determine cost effectiveness of investment options, in support of business cases for acquisition and support.
- Determination of affordability and programme budgets.
- Generation of reports and presentation of findings to stakeholders.
In addition to client facing work there will be opportunities to be involved in preparing new proposals, management of consultancy projects and team leadership activities.
What you can bring?
At interview you will be expected to demonstrate an enthusiasm to apply your skills in the following areas:
- Collecting, collating, and interpreting cost data from previous projects, supplier estimates, internal experts and published sources.
- Using spreadsheets to create basic and complex cost estimating models.
- Learning about using @Risk to undertake stochastic modelling.
- Understanding of the principles, guidelines and methods used in the cost analysis of equipment, systems and capabilities.
- Analysing cost data and providing support to business cases.
- Developing a track record of effective liaison with clients and stakeholders.
You will have/be –
- Degree/higher degree qualified or equivalent.
- Strong attention to detail. Numerate.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Flexible approach to work, able to work alone or as part of a team.
In addition, you will have the opportunity to further develop in the following areas -
- General consultancy skills.
- Risk management/modelling.
- Schedule modelling.
- Operational analysis methods.
- Economic appraisals that support a comparison of acquisition options on a cost versus effectiveness basis.
- Familiarity with MoD acquisition processes and assurance of cost models.
Why work for Atkins?
People join us because they share a desire to be at the forefront of the ADS&T Business Unit and deliver outstanding projects. We empower our people to be the professional individuals they want to be, working on projects they feel proud of, making a difference to the world they live in and the legacy they leave behind.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.