Senior Cost Modeller
Senior Cost Modeller - Empowering projects in a complex world.
You might know us for the great work we do across our wide variety of projects. We're proud to say it's thanks to our people's diversity of thought, expertise and knowledge. And when you join us, you'll be a part of this genuinely collaborative environment, where everyone's voice is valued and treated equally.
We're passionate about what we do, but we don't take ourselves too seriously. Simply put, this a great place to be. So, when it comes to your life outside of work, ask us about our flexible and remote working policies designed to help you get the most out of life.
Read more about how you can thrive with us.
Join us as a Senior Decision Scientist in Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology (ADS&T). You'll lead teams that use quantitative and qualitative methods to analyse, model and recommend solutions to our customers business decisions. We have a huge variety of projects on all the time, ranging from niche consultancy projects to large, high profile programmes. So, you'll always be able to keep yourself challenged.
In this role you can expect to undertake the following tasks:
- Interfacing with customers to help define and clarify decision making requirements.
- Modelling of whole life costs covering current and future investment options.
- Analysis of cost, schedule and risk throughout the life of investment options.
- Liaison with colleagues to determine cost effectiveness of investment options, in support of business cases for acquisition and support.
- Determination of affordability and programme budgets.
- Generation of reports and presentation of findings to stakeholders.
In addition to client facing work you will be expected to contribute to preparation of new proposals, management of consultancy projects and leadership of teams.
What you can bring (Commercial / Technical / Stakeholder / People)?
At interview you will be expected to demonstrate:
- Experience of collecting, collating and interpreting cost data from previous projects, supplier estimates, internal experts and published sources.
- Familiarity and confidence in using spreadsheets to create basic and complex cost estimating models.
- Knowledge of using @Risk to undertake stochastic modelling.
- A good understanding of the principles, guidelines and methods used in the cost analysis of equipment, systems and capabilities.
- Experience of analysing cost data and providing support to business cases.
- A track record of effective liaison with clients and stakeholders.
- The ability to deliver clear and concise reports and presentations.
- The ability to lead small teams and work as part of a team in a working environment where there can be frequent change, uncertainty and ambiguity.
You will have/be –
- Degree/higher degree qualified or equivalent.
- Strong attention to detail. Numerate.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Flexible approach to work, able to work alone or as part of a team.
In addition, preference will be given to candidates who can demonstrate one or more of the following –
- Experience in a relevant consultancy environment.
- Experience of risk management/modelling.
- Experience of schedule modelling.
- Experience of operational analysis methods.
- Experience of conducting economic appraisals that support a comparison of acquisition options on a cost versus effectiveness basis.
- Familiarity with MoD acquisition and cost assurance processes.
- Ability to develop junior team members in Cost Modelling.
Why work for Atkins?
People join us because they share a desire to be at the forefront of the ADS&T Business Unit and deliver outstanding projects. We empower our people to be the professional individuals they want to be, working on projects they feel proud of, making a difference to the world they live in and the legacy they leave behind.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
Meeting your needs:
When you start with us, you'll enjoy "Total Reward", a package that can be tailored to your lifestyle, career and personal needs. From flexible holidays to life assurance, health & wellbeing benefits, and career planning for the senior stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk about any adjustments you might need.
Read more about 'Total Reward'.
More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Check out some of our recent, most exciting projects.
Atkins is committed to developing its people both personally and professionally. Our colleagues have the advantage of access to a high ranging training portfolio and development activities designed to help make the best of individual’s abilities and talents. We also actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.