Dstl Portsdown West
About the job
A wargame is a process of adversarial challenge and creativity, delivered in a structured format and usually umpired or adjudicated. Wargames immerse participants in an environment with the required level of realism to improve their decision-making skills and/or the real decisions they make. Wargaming is a powerful tool, used within the Ministry of Defence to explore issues ranging from national strategic (such as current geopolitical decision-making) to the tactical (such as how to effectively use generation-after-next concepts on a future battlefield).
The Wargaming capability you would be joining uses wargaming as a structured analytical technique to understand conflict in order to provide advice to the Ministry of Defence and wider UK Government. Wargaming draws on people with a range of skills; quantitative and qualitative operational analysis techniques; communication; and player interaction in order to model adversarial scenarios to understand factors that can influence the outcome.
In order to build a better wargaming capability, we need a team of people with a range of different skills and experiences to challenge established assumptions. Analysts brought in to the Defence Wargaming Centre will be developed using our Wargaming Development Framework to give a broad range of opportunities to develop the breadth of skills needed to be a professional wargamer. As well as building a broad range of skills, you will also be given opportunities to specialise in areas of wargaming which should align with your own passions/interests.
Dstl wargamers are founder signatories of the Derby House Principles, showing our commitment to leading the opposition of sexism, racism, homophobia, and other forms of discrimination across the board, as well as in wargaming. If you want to find out more, please read this: https://paxsims.wordpress.com/2020/06/16/announcing-the-derby-house-principles-on-diversity-and-inclusion-in-professional-wargaming/
More information on wargaming within the MOD can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/defence-wargaming-handbook
In this role you will:
For Level 4:
• Work as part of a multidisciplinary team in the provision of timely, impartial, evidence-based advice to inform decisions on future defence and security capabilities, policies and strategies.
• Work with customers and the military to understand their needs & challenges and shape their requirements for advice.
• Lead on the delivery of small work packages, being responsible for your own research and analysis.
• Provide technical advice and direction to industrial and academic partners and suppliers.
• Prepare and deliver technical reports and presentations to a range of technical and non-technical audiences.
• Develop an awareness of defence and security challenges and issues.
• Develop your awareness of advances in science and technology
• Explore and visualise data to present its story in a meaningful way to technical and non-technical audience
• Develop your technical skills in wargaming in line with the Wargaming Development Framework.
Additionally for Level 5 you will
• Lead strands of work, including the work of others to maintain a focus on output and technical quality.
• Provide technical partnering to work done by Industry and Academia to ensure that the tasks remain on track, are of high quality and maximise the benefit of external expertise
Additionally for Level 6 you will
• Engage with senior stakeholders across MOD and wider Government to offer advice and capture/identify future wargaming requirements
• Lead on deep technical or professional specialisation
• Manage the resources of people, materials, money and information to achieve a balanced set of results within a project framework
• Consistently seek broader application and exploitation of your wargaming outputs
You will be required to work as a part of a team providing analytical advice to customers within the MOD and wider Government. You will shape the research conducted by the team and implement technical methods and approaches that will provide impartial evidence-based solutions that will inform decision making. There will be opportunities to travel to military sites, attend various trials and undertake international travel.
You will be in a team, guided by a Project Technical Authority and Project Manager who will be responsible for the overall delivery of the project. You will lead individual work strands or aspects of these strands and deliver these to a high standard. You may also be required to use your interpersonal skills and technical knowledge to lead a team of people in delivering this work.
This role has no line management responsibility or any financial authority.
We are looking for someone who has:
• Existing skills and background that can be applied to analytical wargaming
• A keen and enquiring mind with a coherent approach to problem solving
• The ability to communicate with different audiences using appropriate means
We are looking for someone with the motivation to learn :
• Wargame design and development
• Facilitation and Adjudication*
• Data Capture and analysis
• Customer Engagement
• Red Teaming *
• Military and government awareness
• Modelling and Simulation*
• Validation and Verification of models
• Report Writing
• Historical Analysis*
(* as defined in the Defence Wargaming Handbook)
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be British Citizens who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to understand the work you will undertake to protect us from any security threats. For this reason, we regret that only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners.
This role will require full UK security clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years. For some roles Developed Vetting will also be required, in this case you should have resided in the UK for the past 10 years.
If you are a current Dstl employee, you are encouraged to inform your line manager of your application as they can support you through the process and should you be successful it will help in negotiating a release date.
Dstl is strongly encouraging blended and flexible working either at one of our sites or from home or both. We want to empower you to undertake your duties at the most appropriate location for the task, however you will be allocated a Dstl site as a base. You may be required to travel to other Dstl and MoD sites as required.
We particularly welcome female and ethnic minority applicants and those from the LGBTQI community, as they are under-represented within Dstl at these levels.